Clock Rewinders on a Book Binge is where Tara @ 25 Hour Books and I shamelessly plug each other, share the fantastic posts, giveaways, or whatever else we’ve found and loved by other awesome bloggers (or authors!) during the week, and talk about the books we plan on reading in the coming week.
My birthday is in TEN days! Not that I’m counting or anything. Instead of doing a review on my birthday (since it falls on a Wednesday), I’ve got an extra special post scheduled where I answer all your questions about me. Haven’t asked your question yet? There is still time!
On a Book Bender Recap
- Audiobook Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (10) – It is both ridiculous and poignant.
- Top Off Tuesday — Nips and More!
- Review: Maximum Witch by Jodi Redford (8) – I so absolutely adore this series! (and BONUS! there is a giveaway happening on Goodreads for a physical copy of this book)
- Doin’ It Dirty: Sign Up — Come read smut with us on July 20th!
- Joint Review with Ruby: Devil’s Gate by Thea Harrison (8) – Perhaps the best ER novella yet.
Meanwhile, in Amanda’s World
- Anne @ Creativity’s Corner interviewed me as part of her blog birthday celebration!
- My mp3 player refused to turn on, so I’m now without a way to listen to audiobooks in the car. This makes me sad, sad, sad. Also, on a related note, I understand that Payphone by Maroon 5 is a catchy song, but hearing it five times on four different radio stations in a hour is ridiculous.
- Teaching is OVER! Next week there is testing, meetings, and graduation, but right now the hard part is OVER. And for that I am thankful.
Around the Book Blogging Community
- Ilona (of Ilona Andrews) wrote a post about the whole librarians versus bloggers debate.
- Kelly @ Radiant Shadows talks about indie authors and editing. I read a book this week that I rated very low because of poor editing. But it was poor editing that caused confusion about key plot points and characters, which destroyed any enjoyment I could have had. And honestly, this is something that as an editor, I could and would have fixed. Seriously. If you want to self-publish, DO NOT skip a quality editor. I know we cost money. But your book will be better in the end. I should never EVER find a your/you’re mistake in a book that’s been published. Finding two is unforgivable.
- Chelsea @ Vampire Book Club posted about our love-hate relationship with cliffhangers.
- Alissa @ The Grammarian’s Reviews had two great discussion posts this week: how to overcome a reading slump and receiving & leaving comments.
- Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal wrote about her FATAL FLAWS when it comes to blogging.
does karin slaughter tweet — No, not that I know of. She does post on Facebook frequently, though.
“joke” “grammar check” — Yes, grammar check is a joke.
bender giraffe — o.O
i’m addicted to books — So am I!
bender penis blog — Come on now. It’s not like that here. Yet.
book cliffhanger meme — This is an interesting idea!
Read in 2012 (68)
- Red Glove by Holly Black (7)
- Criminal Promises by Nikki Duncan(2)
- I wanted to like this one, but the main characters’ actions didn’t make sense to me (hero would tell himself to stay away from heroine, then a couple minutes later would kiss her silly), the bad guys got mixed up at a crucial moment (two names were used, and who I thought was the bad guy helped later, and someone else ended up dead and I’m so confused about what happened), and there were too many typos and grammar errors (though take that with a grain of salt).
- With Good Behavior by Jennifer Lane (8)
- Really liked this one and read it in a day. Read my review GR because, again, I am too damn lazy to write a full review, which makes me feel bad, because I think this book deserves it.
- Wilder’s Mate by Moira Rogers
- A RAK from Lilly @ Lilly Road (thank you, Lilly!). I can’t wait to get started on this one!
Amazon Wishlist (58)
- The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition
- Yes, I seriously want this. It would be invaluable for my editing business!
- A Bloody Good Secret by Sierra Dean
- Kelly’s review of the 4th book made me want to try this series again.
All Series, All Summer Progress
I have to admit that this week wasn’t such a great week for AS,AS. Well, I guess I did complete one series with Red Glove (and yes, I know I still need the next) but that was it. On the plus side, I didn’t add any books to my list, either.
For next week, I think I’m going to focus on reading books for the Profiling Mysteries event that Kelly, Felicia and I are doing. That means my AS,AS books will likely be left untouched. Especially since the Doin’ It Dirty read-a-thon is on Friday, so I’ll do all kinds of touching of those books.